Skip to main content

Student FAQ

I received an email stating that I was allegedly involved in a violation. What happens next?

In that email is a date and time for your appointment with a staff member, or you will need to call and schedule an appointment. At this appointment, you will have the opportunity to speak to a staff member about the alleged incident, and will also be informed of your rights in the process. This will be your opportunity to explain your side, and tell your version of events.

Will my parents find out?

Per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, parents may be notified if a student is found responsible for an alcohol or drug violation, and the student is under the age of 21. Eastern Kentucky University endorses the developmental concept that the student, parents, and the University form a partnership. The University maintains disciplinary policies and procedures through its student code of conduct in order to provide a positive learning experience for the student, protect the campus community, and maintain an environment that is conducive to learning. Students can benefit from candid discussions with their parents concerning how their use of drugs can detract from their educational goals and the specifics of their disciplinary violations. We encourage students to have this conversation with their parents, prior to them receiving notice from the University.

Is my disciplinary record permanent?

Records are kept on file for 3 years after graduation or 7 years after the date of the incident, whichever is greatest. Cases of suspension, expulsion, and some academic integrity violations are permanent.

I feel that I am being treated unfairly by my professor. Can I report this to SCCS?

Student Conduct and Community Standards solely handles cases of student discipline, not staff or faculty. The Office of Equity and Inclusion administers the University's Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy. Students and employees should direct complaints of alleged discrimination/harassment to the Office of Equity and Inclusion. The office investigates complaints that are made on the basis of age (40 and over), race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, ethnicity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and/or genetic information. If you have other issues that cannot be addressed by OEI, you may also speak with the Dean of Students.

If I am found responsible for a violation, what are the possible sanctions?

Every incident is looked at carefully on a case-by-case basis. Students will be assigned the sanctions that the hearing officer believes will educate the student best. We strive to ensure that students educated throughout the process, and understand why their actions were potentially harmful to themselves or the greater community. Sanctions begin at a verbal reprimand, and escalate to, in extreme circumstances, suspension or expulsion.

What if I fail to complete my assigned sanctions?

Failure to complete an assigned sanction may result in a hold being placed on your account, or in additional sanctions. A hold will prevent you from withdrawing, or registering for classes.

Will this show up on my transcript?

Only certain incidents of academic integrity (ie. FX) will show up on your transcript. Not all academic integrity violations will be indicated on your transcript.

What if I am off campus when I violate the Code of Student Conduct?

The Student Code of Conduct governs off-campus conduct in direct connection with any credit-bearing experiences, including, but not limited to, internships, field trips, study abroad, or student teaching; any activity supporting pursuit of a degree, including, but not limited to, research at another institution or a professional practice assignment; any activity related to an athletic or other extracurricular activity as a representative of the University; or conduct which adversely affects the University Community and its pursuit of its objectives.

Can I withdraw from school in order to resolve this?

Resolving allegations of misconduct through the student disciplinary process is an obligation you have as a student. If you do withdrawal, there may be an administrative hold placed on your student account, which would prevent future registration.

I have a judicial hold on my account. What do I do?

Please call our office at 859-622-1500 for more information on having your hold lifted. With a judicial hold, you will not be able to register for class, or drop classes you are currently registered for.

Are e-cigarettes considered part of the tobacco policy? Yes, E-cigarettes, Juul and other vapes are all included in the tobaco policy. 


What supports are available to me as I go through the conduct process? Student Conduct Advocates are students who have been trained in the conduct process. They are there to help answer questions, guide you to resources, and support you. You may go to the Advocates page and select an individual to contact directly. 

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/