Skip to main content

Parent FAQ

Will I be notified if my student allegedly violates the Code of Student Conduct?

Per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, parents may be notified if a student is found responsible for an alcohol or drug violation, and the student is under the age of 21. Eastern Kentucky University endorses the developmental concept that the student, parents, and the University form a partnership. The University maintains disciplinary policies and procedures through its student code of conduct in order to provide a positive learning experience for the student, protect the campus community, and maintain an environment that is conducive to learning. Students can benefit from candid discussions with their parents concerning how their use of drugs can detract from their educational goals and the specifics of their disciplinary violations. We encourage students to have this conversation with their parents, prior to them receiving notice from the University.


What is my role in the university disciplinary process? How can I help my student?

You can help guide your student through the process and be supportive, while holding your student accountable of the expectations of yourself and the University. You can also help identify and provide necessary interventions, such as drug or alcohol treatment, so that your student can be successful the University and beyond.  Allow and expect the student to set appointments, attend meetings, and fulfill sanctions. Over-involvement in the process can actually hinder your student 

Can I be present in a disciplinary meeting, conference, or hearing with my student?

The student may have a silent advisor present throughout the disciplinary process, who may be a parent. Parents will not be permitted to speak on behalf of the student. We encourage students to speak for themselves, and to ask questions as needed.

Do I need to hire an attorney to represent my student?

Students may have an attorney serve as an advisor, but may not be represented by counsel in a disciplinary hearing.

Can my student appeal a disciplinary decision?

A student found to have violated the Code of Student Conduct has the right to appeal the original decision. The student will receive the appropriate appeal information upon receiving the results of their hearing.

Does the outcome go on my student's record?

The disciplinary records within the University are private, unless the student signs a release of information. Most records are kept on file for 3 years after graduation or 7 years after the date of the incident, whichever is greatest. Cases of suspension, expulsion, and some academic integrity violations are permanent. Failure of a course due to an academic integrity violation (FX) is indicated on a student’s transcript.

My student was charged criminally. Why go through the University disciplinary system too?

The criminal justice system and the EKU Code of Conduct are not mutually exclusive. By being a student, your student is held responsible for upholding the Code of Student Conduct, as well as public laws.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/